From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:49:26 -0400
Thank you all for your suggestions regarding treatment of thrush with
diflucan. Very appreciated by many around here.

I have a confession (or two) to make. I, me , myself, moi, prescribed
combined oral contraceptive to a breasfeeding woman.  Baby is more than 3
months old, thriving. Mom has plenty of milk. When I offered
alternatives, she refuses barrier methods because "men do not like
condoms" (husband was there, and willing ...) and because she did not
want to put her fingers "there" to put a female barrier. Sh would not
take progesterone-only pill because of bleeding (with medical reasons
too: she has malaria, and could lose hemoglobin on a regular basis).
Husband, who is north american and progressive, is baffled ! By, the way,
she also would not do natural methods, feeling them unsafe. In her
culture, men have to be satisfied, and the indsutries have been very
successful in promoting  the  Pill. So, I prescribed it, wraning about
possible effects on the milk supply, and following carefully. So far, so
good. I feel OK with the decision, but feel sad that technology has so
much reduced the options for some women...

Another confesion: I must not let my lactnet mailbox exceed 75 messages:
more thant that, and I go to my husband asking for a new baby ... Now,
that woukd be "catastrophic" financially, profesionnally, and
everything... How does one engineer and "accident" ?
(Spenking of which, my 5-year-old daughter came to me last week, asking
me to swallow a seed to have another little girl. As I was starting to
explain, she told me "but you have to swallow a seed to have a baby grow
in your stomach".  Her Daddy is a gardener, you see...)

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Chargee d'enseignement clinique
Departement de medecine sociale et preventive