From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:38:35 -0800
At 09:33 PM 1/15/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Also Acyclovir can be used however it is most
>effective when began early in the course.  They can both just "get through"
>this with pain control, ice, ibuprofen, and a mixture of maalox and banadryl
>1:1 painted on the lesions. I would put bactroban on moms lesion so it doesn't
>get superinfected, and I always recommend probiotics (ie acidophillus,
>lactobacillus) to help "fight" the infection.

this is somewhat off topic, as it is not breastfeeding related, but i
wanted to share that i recently experienced gingivostomatitis personally.
It was one of the most uncomfortable/painful experiences i have ever had
(right up there with childbirth!)   I finally went to the doctor about 3
days after the outbreak (i had lesions all over my tongue and gums) and she
did prescribe antivirals - which cleared it up almost instantly (within 48
hours completely, even though i was in the middle of getting new
lesions.)  It was like a miracle.

Before I went to the doctor, and before the lesions cleared completely, i
found that gargling with mouthwash provided the most relief.  I do not know
if this would be contraindicated for a child, or if swabbing a baby's mouth
would provide the same relief even if it were risk-free, but I thought I
would share that experience.  It allowed me to tolerate drinking and eating
soft foods, just barely.  I would gargle with the mouthwash every 15
minutes or so - the anesthetic effect wore off that quickly.

Lyla Wolfenstein, B.S., IBCLC