From:
Lynn Moony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:36:19 -2
Unfortunately, I'm going to be computerless for the next couple of
days so probably won't be able to join in.  Also, it will be the
early hours of the morning for us and we're having a cold spell,
the temp. is usually around freezing point just before dawn.
Johannesburg can get very cold.

"Second Question (for discussion on Pediatric Chat)
Is there an alternative way to keep promoting breastfeeding and yet
prevent aids and death from formula caused illness in developing
countries?"
I'm probably being unrealistic and naive.... what about asking
ourselves how we could best direct our energy and skills?  BFHI is
catching on here and in other parts of Africa.  I would like to see a
more holistic approach towards creating mother- and baby-friendly
environments, rather than promoting BFHI as a breastfeeding
initiative.  In my opinion, sometimes the way BFHI is currently
promoted here reinforces the image of breastfeeding as being the
"be-all and end-all".  This is counterproductive, as it causes
polarisation amongst both health workers and mothers.  In this
country, there are societal taboos against bottle-feeding on the part
of families, friends and health workers, particularly in those
communities most at risk for becoming infected with HIV.

We can build on our experience and improve our communication and
counselling skills so that we can continue to work towards health
systems which enable moms to make informed decisions. This implies a
lot of work - many aspects of which are often discussed on Lactnet -
changing attitudes is surely the most challenging.

Sometimes a mother's decision may be not to breastfeed and we need to
be able to support her in her decision, so that she (and the father)
can parent as best she can (many of our moms are single parents, I'm
not deliberately neglecting the fathers).  We need to re-consider the
ways in which we promote breastfeeding (open to suggestions here!)

As Chris said the other day, skin-to-skin care is for all babies.
I'm sure we can come up with other examples of positive parenting
that we usually associate with breastfeeding promotion.
Lynn Moony
Johannesburg, South Africa