From:
Paula Ray Hiett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:54:36 -0500
To update you all on the premie that we have been following in our NICU.
The neonatologist was very receptive to information we provided on the
unlikelihood of the infant being unable to tolerate "mothers own milk". I
provided him with information on human lactose, on the high concentration
of bovine protein in HMF, and contacted the RD at Parkland Hospital in
Dallas who works in their NICU ( his request). I also shared with him the
consensus of the "other professionals" on lactnet. ( in other words I
drowned him in info. ;) He agreed to allow feeds of expressed hindmilk
without the HMF. After 48 hours the baby was tolerating feeds very well and
gaining wt. without abd. distention. He has now allowed trials with "whole
EBM" with an agreement to allow feeds "at breast" if the baby tolerates the
EBM well. This will be one of those "make it or break it babies" who will
pave the way for the other premies if all goes well.... Thank you all for
your input on this case, your combine support for exclusive breastfeeds won
the day!
Paula Ray Hiett BSN, RNC, IBCLC
Longview, Texas
wk: 903-315-5595