From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 23:21:00 GMT
Denise
I wonder if this could be a form of dermatitis rather than yeast. It seems
that most of the yeast we see is in mothers who have directly breastfed and
thus have a source of infection ? via baby's mouth. It seems a little strange
that this mother has yeast if all she has done is pump. Dermatitis (or
psoriasis for that matter) can occur regardless of the environment of the
skin, and yet can present clinically in a very similar way to yeast. I would
be tempted to treat this mum (or refer her to a friendly dermatologist)
for dermatitis first and see what happens. The response to topical treatment
is usually quite rapid (although I understand that psoriasis that is
exacerbated by breastfeeding is harder to clear). Also, is this mother
doing anything that might dry-out the skin, or is the pump being sterilised
in such a way that chemicals are coming into contact with her breast?
Just a thought!  :)