From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 13:35:44 -0400
On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:03:54 -0700, Judy Ritchie [log in to unmask] wrote
about:  Breastfeeding saves newborn lives everywhere

Even in the US, according to study from 2004.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/may2004/niehs-02.htm

LACTNET has done such a great job in educating me that my immediate reaction
was:  BF does not save lives during the first year; FORMULA increases the
mortality rate during the first year.  ABM kills children - there, I said it
and the sky did not fall down on my head.  I want to shout it from the
rooftops, especially for those women who CHOOSE not to breastfeed and those
healthcare providers who say it doesn't matter.  In fact, I will be
forwarding the above NIH link to physicians, nurses, LCs at hospitals and in
peds/OB practices, friends, relatives, and countrymen (countrywomen, too).
I will save it for all the people who tell me that they were "formula fed
and they are just fine."  Thank you Judy for bringing that report to our
attention.

Why wasn't that NIH report publicized?  If the media did not pick it up and
blast it, why didn't the lactation community?  Are we too nice or too quiet
or too non-confrontational or too something else?

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC