From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 15:39:02 -0500
This quote from Salon:

>Even more problematic is the U.S. government's recommendation that women
>breast-feed their newborns for one year, while failing to mandate
comparable >family leave policy that enables them to do it.

(1)  It is the American Academy of Pediatrics which recommends that women
breastfeed their children for a minimum of one year, and the AAP is not part
of the US government (as least not last I heard)

(2)  It does not require one year of family leave to breastfeed your baby
for a year.  As long as women claim that work and breastfeeding are
incompatible, few women will breastfeed.

I'm not saying every mother has it easy, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be
great to have better maternity leave and on-site child care and better
pumping facilities.  But paid labor outside the home and continued
breastfeeding do not HAVE TO BE incompatible -- we allow/make it so.

Kathy Dettwyler, beating a dead horse, apparently