From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 15:37:07 -0900
Thanks to Kathy Dettwyler for her posting on iron and anemia.
I've had problems with this issue for a long time, and finally
decided to watch the debate from the sidelines. My *gut* feeling
is that what goes on "naturally", that is, in human breastmilk
in a condition of long-duration exclusive bfing is or should be
what is designated "appropriate". Truth is that I don't have the
strength to argue with doctors who consider pregnancy a
pathological state and lactation an exotic aberration in infant
feeding practice. Most are so convinced that iron supplements are
a *must* for *all* babies, that arguing the point with them
seriously damages my credibility with them. I may or may not
bring up the point with individual moms, but otherwise keep a low
profile until something really definitive appears in the medical
literature so I can wave it under a few well-chosen noses.
Yes, I'm in a bad mood today. And taking it out on the wrong
people, aren't I......? Sorry. I love you guys, really. Judy K.