From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 22:23:20 -0800
Oh my goodness, also showing my age (and limited alternatives)...

YES we used the juice jar method and there are still women who are IBCLCs
today who used it and were VERY GRATEFUL to be able to gently express enough
milk with this method to soften the nipple/areola which led to a better
infant grasp (and this was way back when we used to hold the babies "tummy
up" and "tickle their cheeks" to turn to the breast...)

Remember that at the time the only other pumps were the bulb-glass
combinations (looked like a bicycle horn) and the Marmet method of hand
expression had not yet been invented/published!

IF I didn't have other alternatives - this is a method that worked and would
certainly cause no harm (yes, you cooled the rim to prevent burning) and IT
DID draw the milk our gently.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA
- and looking forward to the 50th Anniversary Celebration of LLLI!!!