Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:12:13 -0700
>We are so thoroughly conditioned in our western culture to drink milk that
>propose doing otherwise is shocking to a lot of people.

Exactly my point with most of my clients, we are conditioned to think it's
what we need.  On that note, I think it hits home to me so much because I am
a cow's milk fanatic.  If I go more than a day without a glass I go through
major withdrawal, now what does that say about addictiveness?  It starts
with formula (as I was a formula baby), and continues on into an addiction
in adulthood.  I have been careful to raise my kids with the appreciation
for the taste of cow's milk, but not the value of it in their daily lives.
I try not to make my addiction the center of attention even though I easily
go through a gallon every two days on my own.  I provide them with a variety
of drinks, including breastmilk, cow's, soy, juice and most importantly
WATER.  I am glad they seem to have a more balanced outlook.  Thank goodness
I have never had a nursling with a cow's milk allergy!  I would probably go
off the deep end.  Seriously, there is no such thing as PMS in our house,
it's MWS - Milk Withdrawal Syndrome.  My husband makes a call everynight on
his way home to make sure we have enough milk.

I wish parents could see this in their children before it gets to this
point.  Americans are taught that cow's milk is liquid gold, it provides
calcium, helps our "brittle" bones, is good for our kids, etc., most of our
country has no idea what they are doing to themselves.

Melisa (drinking a glass of milk as I answer email)
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor, IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com
Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and