Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:11:15 -0400
As MDs we may use drugs that are approved for one use for another use =
off-label use.
Domperidone is not approved for ANY use in the US.  The adult GI docs
managed to get compassionate use approval from the FDA for diabetic
gastroparesis.  Now we have an orphan drug research IND thanks to Tom Hale  and the
USLCA.

As a member of a large group I was forbidden by the Board of Directors on
the advice of the group's lawyer to prescribe Domperidone. They were
concerned that they were open to lawsuits if I used domperidone because the FDA
issued a specific warning against it.  They even agreed that based on  the
evidence it appeared to be the best drug to use!  They couldn't  stop me from
discussing it, or referring patients to an article I wrote for the  local
Coalition website.  I have since left that group and do write  prescriptions,
and have a supply I use as test doses and for the nurses who ask  me for it .

Several MDs have been cited/warned by their State licensing Boards, that
they will lose their MD licences if they prescribe it.

It is NOT illegal to discuss it.  If you are nurse or LC, it might  cost
you your job.  Our LCs have to follow a scipt - not recommend-just  inform.

Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM,  FAAP
Neonatologist
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and  Newborns
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services
San Diego,  CA