From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 05:57:09 -0600
I had this problem too- I felt so frustrated and worried- maybe I should have
pushed formula? 2nd baby Indian parents- mom had lots of soreness plus had
been giving 2 4 oz bottles a day "to get a break" infant just kept losing wt
falls asleep on breast- I saw baby early on spent very long time with them
gave lots of hand outs- they kept missing and rescheduling apts b/c didn't
want to bring baby out in the cold ice and snow- I went to their house in the
snow storm w/ my scale! (I got absolutely no appreciation for that) gave lots
of IBCLC cards and even 2 in my area offered FREE c/s! they never called- nor
a LLLL, mom didn't want to pump or use SNS was willing to take fenugreek (not
capsules but to chew the real thing) no other meds- felt infant was nursing
fine and in India its okay to not gain until 1 mo (but thats prob at least a
maintaining and not w/ suppl. and poor latching- or else thats why lots of
babies die and are undernourished) Unless I'm just being paranoid, maybe it
would have been better if I just left these parents alone and saw the baby at
2 wks and 4 wks like most pediatricians? I'm really pushing too hard- these
people transferred and another couple also transferred- I just can't
concientiously say "Okay go ahead give formula your baby will be fine" But
nobody wants to hear otherwise
Amy Kotler MD
Dover Pediatrics
Dover NJ (Morris County)