From:
Dressler-DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:12:24 -0500
Bonnie,

I am interested in this situation, but I have some questions.

I don't understand exactly how you discerned that this baby needs
supplementing or that the mom's supply is low.  Unless I read your post
wrong, the information you supplied showed that the baby regained
birthweight by 2 weeks and went on to gain 32 ounces in four weeks.  On
the surface, it seems a decent weight gain--the upper end of average
good. You didn't mention anything about poops.

You also posted that the mom hand expressed almost one cup of breast
milk in five minutes.  I think this is pretty good--especially for hand
expression!  Why did she not get more milk when using a good pump, I
wonder?

I also wonder why you suggested that the mom pump but have someone else
give the baby a bottle?  Why not just stick with the SNS?  It seems like
this poor mom is juggling a lot of machinery, and I'm not sure why.

Regarding securing the SNS tubing, I helped a mom once for whon the tape
didn't work.  She slipped the tubing in as you describe and it worked
well for her.

I hope to her more about this situation.

Diane, LLLL from VT