Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 18:39:36 -0400
The baby has shown an excellent weight gain if he already weighs 22 lbs at
nine months!  Has he grown in length or head circumference?  Those are also
indicators of growth.  Why does the mom give juice?  It's relatively
non-nutritive (but filling to the baby), compared to breast milk.  Since the
baby "nibbles" on table foods, I think we can call that eating- after all,
he's still very young, and many babies are just barely starting solids at
nine months.  One of my children had no solids to speak of until she was a
year old, and she was very healthy.  At this age, solid foods are a
supplement to breast milk, they should not replace breast milk!

You indicated "the physicians are concerned about the lack of weight gain in
the last three months."  If this concern has been communicated to the mom,
would seem to me to be the most likely source of "control issues" for the
parents.  Imagine how worried and over focused on food issues they may have
become under these circumstances.  I would compliment the mother on her
healthy baby, who clearly has gained very well on her own milk, and I would
encourage her to nurse often and trust her baby to eat more solids when he's
hungry for them.