From:
Laura Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:38:24 -0500
Hi Carol!
Just a little rhetoric of my own to add....
What is it that frightens people so about babies?
Well, In our Western, 21st Century (well, almost) Society, we have very
little compassion for those who are dependent. Whether they are
dependent on people, programs, medications, equipment, makes little
difference to us. We have been bombarded with images of even severly
handicapped adults doing extraordinary things. While it has furthered
the cause of the mainstreamed handicapped in our society (like my
sister), It has also fed our belief that those who are dependent to the
point of being NON-Productive members of our society should be
eliminated.
Who is more dependent or less productive than babies? (Not counting the
soiled diaper-production, of course) We continue to attach very little
significant value to our babies throughout their childhood. We refuse to
pay childcare workers or teachers as if they are educating our future,
we prefer to see these careers as menial and to reward the people called
to them by treating them as if they were "guilty-by-association" and
less productive or valuable than the rest of our society. We even extend
this to the medical professionals. How many times have you heard someone
say "Oh, well, S/He is ONLY a PEDIATRICIAN!"
OK, I'll climb down off the soap-box.... I can't wait to see how others
will respond
Laura Wright

http://community.webtv.net/DaciasMomma/MonkeyGirlsPhoto