From:
Maurenne Griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:29:39 -0600
Sometimes I think it is just Cindy and I alone on this issue but I know it
simply isn't true.  Maybe it is just that we are the most vocal on the
issue.

I think our letters to AWHONN about supporting breastfeeding and about the
WHO code may be making a difference.  If you are an AWHONN member, look at
page 49 of the Feb March 2000 issue of AWHONN Lifelines.  In 1999, they
published 11 position statements, 4 of which are related to
breastfeeding/infant feeding alone.

Some of these position statements can be found at
http://www.awhonn.org/resour/position/index.html  except for the one about
the acceptance of funding from Breast Milk Substitute Manufacturers.  I
REALLY wanted to see what they had to say on that issue.  That statement is
not posted on the website yet.  Then, we will know for sure where they
stand.  I know I have personally written to AWHONN on a number of occasions
about the issue and at almost every AWHONN conference I go to, there are
formula manufacturers there as vendors.  I always make a statement about my
staunch disapproval of this on my eval forms at conferences and I also find
whoever the vendor coordinator is.

I've been an AWHONN member for 10 years now and I feel it is a very
worthwhile organization as I am sure many of you feel.  You may or may not
support the WHO Code.  I for one DO support the WHO Code and have been very
active in AWHONN since I joined and held a leadership position since 1994.
I volunteer more time for AWHONN than I do for any other group.  I think I
do make a difference as a leader in this organization.

Thank you Cindy for speaking up for mothers and babies on such an important
health care issue.

Sincerely,

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Manhattan, KS  USA