From:
Pam Lacey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:29:37 +0000
Helen,

I totally agree with you about not 'overusing' the expression
'Baby-friendly', or denegrating from the well deserved units that have
'earned' the status.  But as Heather has already pointed out, I would
suggest we now aim to get the clinics, doctors surgeries and other 'out of
hospital' HCP's earning their own BFI status from the 'community 7 point
plan'. In the UK we are working on getting units to achieve this and some
already have the 'Baby-Friendly in the community' status. (even though we
still have a long way to go in the hospitals).  There is also a standard
being set by BFI (under construction at the moment) for extending BFI into
Paediatric units, although whether this will be another award or connected
to the '10 steps' for maternity units, I don't know yet.

Thanks
Pam
ABM BFC UK

asI would urge people to check outi
The discussion of giving public credit to a list of doctors who strongly =
support breastfeeding is interesting. But I would just like to mention =
again in case there are LactNetters who are unclear about the term =
"Baby-Friendly" that it can be used only by maternity facilities that =
have been assessed according to the Global Criteria for BFHI. It should =
not be applied to doctors, or clinics, or workplaces, or products, or =
anything other than designated maternity facilities. =20
The new UNICEF Breastfeeding website has a statement to this effect, at This
lets us keep the =
Baby-Friendly designation for the more than 15,000 hospitals and =
delivery services that have earned it.=20
(Helen)

The UNICEF Baby Friendly in the Community programme covers all HCPs
outside hospitals and non-hospital clinics, centres etc etc....it's
international, and would certainly be applicable to paediatrician and
family physican offices in the US and anywhere else.
(Heather)