From:
Alan Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:24:44 -0600
Hello LactNetters,

I'm in contact with a mom by e-mail.  She has a 5 month-old child and was recently diagnosed with papillary carcinoma of the thyroid.  There was microscopic capsulary invasion, but no invasion of the lymphatic or vascular systems. Her healthcare providers feel strongly that she needs radiation, but think the cancer was most likely confined to the base of the throat.

The thyroid has been removed and she's to undergo radioactive I-131 treatment at the end of the month.  NaI is all they use for ablation at her treatment center.  She's currently bf her baby, but was told she'll have to completely wean her son.  She's now taking synthetic T3 (Cytomel).   Mom must stop taking Cytomel on March 17, then take an oral dose of 29 milliCuries of Iodine 131 NaI on March 31.  She has to be separated from her children for 3 days.  She was cautioned to prevent pregnancy for 6 months to a year.  She'll be on Synthroid the rest of her life.

This mom will receive 100+ milliCuries of radioactive I-131 and will have to stay in the hospital for 7 days if the scan shows cancer elsewhere in her body.

I searched the archives, but have found no positive news for this mother.  I read the case where a mother researched the I-131 treatment & elected to refuse the treatment.  Am I correct in determining that this woman definitely has to wean her child?  It appears that the use of NaI in such a large dose eliminates the possibility for this mom to pump/freeze/test the milk to use at a later time.  I am completely out of my field and would appreciate any advice.

Also, she wants information on to how to train her baby to go to sleep without nursing.  I won't suggest pumping since she's trying to reduce her supply, but will suggest contacting a milk bank for donor milk.  Dad will need to take an active role in getting this little one to sleep.

Please keep this mom & child in your prayers today.
Nancy Carter, D.V.M