From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:46:46 -0400
>Kym Smythe asked if anyone had a better term than "extended nursing."  The
>longer I have nursed my children, the more the terms "extended" or
>"prolonged" nursing have bugged me.  If something is extended or prolonged,
>it is stretched out too far -- beyond its normal or comfortable length.
>These days I say long-term nursing instead.  Hope your interview goes well!

I think this discussion is a very good sign that extended nursing
(or whatever its next nomer is) is becoming part of the mainstream
awareness although it is still a monority, "alternative" activity.
I have noticed over the years that names for things change every
few years as names develop negative connotations in the language.
For example, over 40 or so years, Coloreds became Negroes, who
became Blacks who became African Americans. There are many terms
in special education, learning disabilities, mainstreaming (see?)
that have had similar evolutions.
  Naomi Bar-Yam