From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:48:02 -0500
Here's the problem. You have a new mother of triplets. She has lost two
of her babies and is using whatever physical, emotional and whatever
other types of energy she has to take care of herself, her remaining
baby, her family, probably running back and forth to the hospital
multiple times a day. Is it reasonable to expect her to investigate
where to send her milk, how to pack it to get there and the policies of
each milk bank on using milk for research - in addition to undergoing
whatever testing is necessary so that the milk bank can take her gift.

Who else around her can help with some of this? Is there information
gathered in one place about milk bank policies on taking milk from out
of town, necessary tests and using milk for research. Do they need
permission to use milk for research? Last I checked, this was not on
the HMBANA website, not even on the websites of individual milk banks.
Could someone gather the information and would HMBANA be willing to
post it on their website, so friends, family members and hcps of
potential donors can get the info they need quickly and efficiently.
What other info would be useful?

Naomi

On Dec 8, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Before donating, I believe that one should ask some questions of the
> milk
> bank.   Milk banking is not only about feeding babies, a part of the
> operation of
> milk banking is about research.  Thus while you may assume that your
> milk is
> going to some sick or premie baby, in actual fact it may be going to
> some
> researcher who may be planning on patenting on some component in human
> milk and
> making some money.
Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.

Researcher, Writer, Educator