Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 15:05:47 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hi Teresa,
   Specifically on insufficient glandular tissue, you will find material on this from two presentations from the ILCA 2000 Washington, DC conference and 1999 Scottsdale conference.  See the conference books.  There is a fine paper by the speakers in the 2000 Current Issues in Clinical Lactation, describing 34 mothers with lactation insufficiency, and categorising them into four breast types.  
Lisa Marasco has done some interesting work on polycystic ovary syndrome and lactational insufficiency.  (Lisa, if you are on Lactnet at the moment, I'm sure you could explain.) The references are:

Huggins KE, Petok ES, Mireles O. Markers of lactation insufficiency: a study of 34 mothers.  Current Issues in Clinical Lactation 2000;1:25-35.

Marasco L, Marmet C, Shell E. Polycystic ovary syndrome: a connection to insufficient milk supply. J Hum Lact 2000;16(2):143-148.

At the moment I have a mother with an extreme glandular insufficiency, who is using a supplementer.  (Can't give details here as I'd need to ask the mother's permission and it's early days yet.)  I believe the key issue for the Mums is to take onboard that, yes, partial breastfeeding is okay, and it doesn't have to be "one thing or the other" (i.e. exclusive BF or exclusive AF).
    I hope you can find the above references, Teresa.
       Virginia

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2