From:
Sandy Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 17:47:14 -0500
Hello Lactnetters!

Just couldn't resist to comment on the WIC discussions over the past few
days.  We are excited about our own "Baby Fair", we're calling it our "Summer
WICFest".  We're promoting our program (and in our office, with 2 IBCLC's,
that's synonymous with BF promotion!!!), as well as community resources for
our participants.  We're having a few booths, incl. LLL, and NO ABM's
represented.  Our agency is also a rental station (with sliding fee scale,
esp. for WIC folks), that will have a booth too.  We're having a fire truck,
a clown, games, face-painting, free (nutritious) munchies & drinks, etc. Most
of these items have even been donations!

Re the giveaway pumps, we have seen a negative reaction in our clinic.  The
health professionals used to give manual pumps to anyone who BF or requested.
 The clerical staff said they were getting LOTS of calls from BF moms asking
for ABM because they didn't have enough/any milk.  This was, of course,
determined by using the pump 1-2x, and "only" getting a small amount of
milk--and many were not even using the pump correctly.  This issue has been
addressed at the state level, and as a result, we will soon have a "contract"
to be signed when a manual pump is issued.  The mom is shown HOW to use the
pump, given some guidelines as to it's use, and where to call if any
questions or problems.  ANY pump question is referred to either IBCLC, we ask
WHY they need a pump, so as to direct them to what's available to fit their
need.

BTW, since starting our rental station last May, we have rented pumps to 41
WIC moms, for a total of 122 months.  Our rate of BF moms is 54%, which means
that when we certified the mom & baby for the program, 54% were BF!).

Also, I have been getting a lot of comments on my new license plate
"BB2BRST".  Can you figure it out?  I love parking in our lot & making it
visible to all who come to our clinic & WIC Program!

Sandy Arnold BS, IBCLC