From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 09:29:34 -0500
On May 10, 2006, at 3:38 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Why is it so many moms "can't get that close" to their babies?

I can't speak for other cultures, but Robin Lim, a very experienced
midwife internationally, points out that in the USA, "life as we know
it" ends when a baby is born, and people tell pregnant couples they had
better do whatever they have been waiting to do (travel, etc.)or they
will have to wait years.  The baby is interfering temporarily with
"real life."

In contrast, in Bali, life isn't really normal until the couple *has* a
baby, and the culture expects and supports the falling in love.

My dh had heard horrible things from several guys, and Robin
straightened him out for me :)

Lynn