Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 18:57:28 +0100
Hi,
>What exactly is so terrible about explosive mucousy stools?
>Eventually they will stop.  It ain't worth stopping breastfeeding for
>that.  What long term data do we have that Alimentum is safe?

And IMHO, even "colic" is preferable to a severely allergic baby - they
grow out of the worst colic, generally but food allergies can be
lifelong. And I say this after having had a severely colicy, breastfed
baby who screamed for many hours a day for the first 4 months of her
life. Maybe on soy formula, she'd have screamed less, OTOH, my reasoning
was that if mother's milk upset her so, what could she be like on
formula? I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

It seems there is a bit of a double standard amoung some HCPs here: if
you are formula feeding and your baby is colicy, you are told it is
"only" colic and not to worry because she'll grow out of it (once
they've tried a couple of formulas to see if that makes any difference).
If, OTOH, you are breastfeeding, it seems suddenly to be seen as a major
problem for which you must wean. Anyone else come across this?
--
Anna (Mummy to Emma, born 17th Jan 1995, Alice, born 11th Sept 1996,
??? due 18th April 1998)