Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:55:12 EST
Wanted to share a small triumph that occurred yesterday at my hospital NICU.
I am the lone IBCLC, and non-RN at that, in a hospital with 250 - 275
births/month.  I work PT and have enough time only to put out fires and work
with whoever staff identifies as having problems in PP plus mothers with
babes in NICU that are soon to be DCed and want to transition from EBM via
bottle to breast.  One of the issues that has driven me crazy is that many
docs insist that moms on mag sulfate have to pump and dump for their babies.
 Yesterday a very determined  mom who is adamant about bfing gave birth to a
34 weeker and was told she had to discard her milk bc of taking mag sulfate.
She asked me if it was contraindicated and I pulled out my 1998-99 copy of
Hale I personally donated to the hospital and showed her the AAP approval et
al, commiserated with her and said I'd try to enlightened staff with respect
to this and at least get started pumping for her baby who was still NPO.
Went into the NICU and made  some snippy comment on the ludicrousy of it all
and was asked to back it up - whipped out my Hale reference to the
questioning RN and Head Neonatologist and was told - we need a policy change
and a copy of this book on the unit.  After I got up off of the floor I was
so pleased!  One small change...but paves the way for more.  Never hurts to
augment one's credibility with the powers that be! Since I work solo there's
no one else to share this with.  You fellow Lactnetters are such a wonderful
lifeline to those of us working in the trenches to keep on plugging - just
the knowledge of not being all alone in the world is great.  The support we
get from one another is fantastic.  Thank you to each and every one of you
who has shared information and provided support over the years.  This forum
is tremendous!

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC