From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:39:39 -0400
Help needed! Saw a mommy on Monday (4/23)  who had extraordinary breast growth this pregnancy. She delivered on 4/22, and has been breastfeeding. I was asked to see her for 'right side failure to lactate". Nurse reported extraordinarily large breasts but mom able to latch to the left by herself and the infant was observed to be transferring milk. Right nipple was described as "flat". During questioning of her history, two things were significant. She reported a size of 40B pre-pregnancy. Also, this is her third baby, first two she experienced normal breast growth and lactation. She said this pregnancy her breasts began to grow larger and larger and have not stopped. I measured her and the difference between band measurement and full bust is 20 inches. The largest cup size bra I could find allowed for a differential of 14 inches. She is sweet, patient and creative. She is able to latch baby, but cannot sustain feeding him without a helper to hold him because of the weight of her big (almost 10lbs) baby and her heavy breasts. I would like information to share with her and her doc. about breast growth and mom's options. I would also appreciate any leads on properly fitting her for a bra. She is mobile, but experiencing significant back and shoulder pain. As of the time of our consultation, she was not engorged, skin was intact and supple. Nipple skin was also intact but mom beginning to experience soreness.  I did an archive search prior to posting this, but didn't find anything "new".I'm hoping someone has experience/knowledge to share. Thank you so kindly!
Leslie Cree, IBCLC