Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:42:34 +0000
>I believe we must avoid rules as much as possible. What is magical about 6
>months? Babies should eat when they are ready. And they are ready when they
>try to grab food and put it in their mouths.
>
>Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

Yep - I agree. Eating, including bf, is not just a nutritional 'act',  but
a developmental and *social* behaviour, too.

Far better to empower parents by getting them to observe their babies and
to discuss with them what to look for, than giving rigid rules which rely
on the calendar rather than the baby. If we have abandoned 4 hourly feeds
and 10 mins a side in favour of something much more individual - like
'follow the baby's cues'  - I can't think why we would start talking in
inflexible terms as the baby gets older.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK