From:
Katherine Catone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:07:52 -0800
I thought particularly the PA's out there might want to be alerted to
this but thought the rest of you might be interested too.

In the journal ADVANCE for Physician's Assistants, Vol.6,No. 11, November
1998:  There is an article on Postpartum Depression: It's More than Just
After-Baby Blues by assistant editor Sally Peters (no credentials are
listed).
In discussing SSRI's and other medications this is said:
"These medications may be secreted in breast milk, but there has not been
 much evidence to support this, Dr. Moore says.  "Any decision we make on
the benefits for nursing mothers is made on risk to benefit rations,' she
says.  In some acute cases, you may have to advise a woman to cut down on
nursing if she is concerned about the medications being secreted in her
breast milk, Dr. Moore adds.  "The benefits to the baby of treating a
mothers depression are greater than the benefits of nursing."

The Dr. Moore mentioned is Donnica L. Moore, MD, president of Sapphire
Women's Health Group in Neshanic Station, NJ

ADVANCE: 2900 Horizon Dr., Box 61556, King of Prussia, PA.  19406-0956
email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.advanceweb.com
phone: 1-800-355-5627, ext. 213

This was their annual Women's  Health focus issue.  This was the only
reference to lactation that I found.  Obviously some education on the
benefits of breastfeeding are needed and it needs to be clarified that
the choice isn't depression or breastfeeding , that is is possible for
mothers to be treated while breastfeeding.

Katherine A. Catone, LLLL, IBCLC