From:
Laurie Shornick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 20:36:19 -0500
Dear Marcia,

Here is a quick summary of the immunobiology of antibodies,
autoimmune disease, pregnancy & lactation.

Our bodies make several types of antibodies. For this discussion the
two main types are IgG and IgA.

IgG is transferred during pregnancy from the mother's circulation
into the babies circulation. There is an accumulation of antibodies
over the course of the pregnancy. Thus, a baby born prematurely would
not yet have received all the antibodies that a term baby would
receive. These IgG antibodies will remain in an infant's circulation
for around six months and then they disappear. In the meantime, the
infant has not yet developed the full capacity to make it's own
antibodies yet. This is just one reason why it is so important for
the infant to receive antibodies from breastmilk (and I will explain
why these antibodies are special further on).

IgG antibodies are great for getting rid of bacteria and viruses in
the blood or tissues. When IgG binds to a bacteria this activates a
collection of proteins known as complement. These proteins coat the
surface of the bacteria or virus and poke holes in it so that it will
die. Very effective system, although it also induces  inflammation.

However, if a person has an autoimmune disease they will make
antibodies against their own proteins. In this case, the mother's
body makes IgG antibodies against her own neutrophils. The anti-
neutrophil IgG binds to the surface of her neutrophils, complement
gets activated, and pokes holes in the cells causing them to die.
This explains why she has fewer neutrophils.

Neutrophils are the "first responders" of all our immune cells and
they are especially good at killing bacteria. Someone who is
neutropenic may have trouble clearing bacterial infections.

Now as I mentioned, the IgG from the mother is transferred to the
fetus during pregnancy. This would include the anti-neutrophil IgG
antibodies that the mother is producing. So, her baby is receiving
these antibodies in utero. This is not a problem because the baby is
also protected from infection in the womb. However, after the baby is
born it will still have these antibodies in it's system for about six
months which could cause the baby to be neutropenic for awhile as
well. This also happens with neonatal lupus: the maternal autoimmune
antibodies are passed to the baby during gestation and the newborn
will have lupus symptoms for about six months until those antibodies
wear out.

Now here's the great news. The main antibody in breastmilk is IgA and
it works in a different way than the IgG type. This IgA type of
antibody is produced on all our mucosal surfaces (the lining of the
respiratory tract & the lining of the gastrointestinal tract) which
are the main places where we encounter bacteria and viruses. The
first thing that the bacteria or virus needs to do to infect us is to
bind to the lining of our respiratory or GI tract, BUT the IgA type
of antibody binds to the bacteria or virus and actually BLOCKS it
from binding to us at all. In other words, it can prevent infection
from even being established. Or reduce it to the level where there
aren't any symptoms. This mechanism also does not cause any
inflammation.

So, after this baby is born it may be slightly neutropenic and
therefore more susceptible to infection. However, if the mother is
breastfeeding, the IgA antibodies in the milk will work to prevent
infections from being established in the first place. Therefore, the
baby may have fewer neutrophils for awhile, but that shouldn't matter
because it will be well protected by the IgA antibodies that it will
receive through the breastmilk. Also, the IgA antibodies are designed
to travel through the digestive tract without being degraded.

I hope that this information is helpful. Feel free to contact me
offlist if you have additional questions.
Warm regards,
Laurie Shornick, PhD