From:
patyoungz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:03:58 -0500
My question now:

After 2 weeks of taking the high dosage of Diflucan, should she continue
taking 200mg of Diflucan for a 3rd and possibly 4th week? Increase/decrease
dosage?

YES, continue the diflucan 200 mg for at least 2 more weeks.  Baby MUST also
be treated, preferably with diflucan at proper dose for weight!  At age 2 mo
a full dose of 3 mg/kg is appropriate.  1st dose is a double dose.

This is a sad example of early, poor, ineffective treatment leading to 9
weeks of pain and turmoil.

Unfortunately it is also a classic case.  If she had gotten the proper dose
early on the whole thing would have probably swiftly resolved :-(  I have
found giving mom diflucan (good dose) and baby Nystatin in early days seems
to work well, if GV doesn't work first.

To just give baby Nystatin and have mom use Nystatin cream doesn't  work.
And this mom was certainly underdosed with diflucan early on (150 then 50
was a waste of time and money!).  I think this messing around with poor
dosing makes the yeast resistant.  I subscribe to the hit it hard in the
first place school of thought, if after 3 days of GV there is no relief.

Sorry to be so put out this early in am, but good grief, we even give
diflucan to premies when they need it.  Pat in SNJ