From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:30:56 -0400
So, like  many things in life bandied about as "fact" no one really knows
an accurate figure of mothers unable to breastfeed for physical reasons -
right?  Am I interpreting this correctly?

Dairy experts say 5% of cows won't lactate.  Some high risk, intensive BF
clinics see certain #s of moms unable to BF, but that is only accurate in
so far as their clinic.  We need to concentrate on the many moms who are
unable to BF as long as they want from sheer BF mismanagement and stop
wasting our time on  trying to establish a "true" number.  That's my NSHO
(not so  humble opinion).

We need to be able to recognize a mom who may  have major production
problems (physical or hormonal) and follow her closely to be sure baby is
fed (one way or another).  We need to work  on the emotional/social bonds
that hinder a mother's desire to BF in the first place.   We need to work
on having all moms receive optimum BF care when they need it.  We need to
work on BF being the norm.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ