From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:15:13 -0400
Allergy to dairy...please the stools would be bloody and green all the
time..been there, done that and we did go to the allergist and my son
was tested and wow no allergy, just a sensitivity that was alleviated
within 2 weeks of me being dairy free. Many times I find my clients are
not truly dairy free and have no clue what is really in food. Then the
allergist warned us that going off dairy would entice us to go straight to
soy and what a bad idea that was because the largest cross allergen to
dairy is soy. So in came the rice milk and self prepared foods for awhile
and then he was fine by 8 months. Delayed solids on advice of the
allergist (and Steven could have cared less) until 8-9 months with no
dairy, nuts, etc etc until past 1 and preferably no cow milk until 2. It
worked, no allergy has ever surfaced and although milk seems to be an
issue in any more than a coup per day for him he eats cheese and
smoothies like they are not going to be sold again.

I had many talks with the allergist after this incident in regards to other
patients I saw and my son and he agreed that a true dairy allergy
would show in such a way that it would almost be impossible to miss.
He also told me that contrary to many peds. they should be tested to
avoid any serious complications that could come later in the first or
second year when foods were eaten in larger amounts. He said he had
seen kids that it did not show as easily but they were the rare form
that most times the anus area would be flaring red, green frothy stools
laced with mucous, red eyebrows (almost crusty) and skin issues. Just
my take from an allergist I learned to trust very much and appreciate
his education about the subject, not the lectures that many parents get.

Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE
Private Practice
Merced, CA