From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:26:07 +0200
Nina`s posting really was an eye-opener for me - sorry for the pun!
I had never thought about this identification of learning styles but
certainly for me it is the visual which influences my learning choices and
teaching.
Not only do I enjoy learning and teaching with the help of charts, computer
presentations, dolls and pelvis, video clips, artwork, role play  etc. but I
am convinced that the visual cues enhance listening skills - one of the
reasons I do not like telephone counselling unless I already know the
client.
Maybe it is also because I work mostly in Hebrew which is fairly fluent, but
I don`t always get every nuance of the language, so I depend a great deal on
eye contact, facial expression  and body language. So much empathy can be
conveyed in eye contact and/or a smile at the appropriate time. And just
catching a changing expression one someone`s face can teach us so much about
how that person is feeling.
It would be interesting to know how other counsellors see themselves through
their learning styles.
Thank you Nina and Morgan  for this discussion - this is an issue that
should be included in training courses for counsellors and teachers.
Wendy Blumfield