From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:30:42 -0500
Date:    Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:39:19 -0500
From:    "Delores Keith I.B.C.L.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: MOM WITH POOR KIDNEY FUNCTION

My LLL co-leader has been contacted by a 24 year old women , 2nd pregnacy,
first baby died after premature birth at 27 weeks, mother had eclampsia.
 Mother was in intensive care with kidney failure. Has been medicated for the
last three years to the present for hypertension, which is controled by
procardia, Is now at 17 weeks gestation and on bed rest, has only 30 percent
kidney function. Nephrologist does not want her to breastfeed  due to her
lack of kidney function. The mother wants to breastfeed, her  doctor wants
her to prove its safe
----------------------

Delores, can the physician show her information that proves to her that it
is dangerous? I think that if this mother, who is so gravely ill, can give
birth to a child...that there had better be some hard and fast documentation
that says that bf will further cause her harm. It very well  *might*,  I am
no expert, but I believe that the burden of proof is on the physician, to
prove the harm. The harm of artificial baby milk is documented.

Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
LACTNET WWW http://www.telcomplus.net/~kga/lactation.html