Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:47:43 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Honest, this is breastfeeding related. What a wonderful playground the internet can be;-) 

While searching for references, trying to clarify my ideas about its anti-diuretic properties
I came upon this paragraph from the acceptance lecture of the recipient of the 
Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1955 for the first synthetically produced hormone, Pitocin.

Vincent du Vigneaud - Nobel Lecture
www.chtf.stuba.sk/.../Organicka%20chemia%20II/.../Vigneaud_Nobel%...‎

"I find it intriguing to contemplate how one starts out on a trail of exploration in the laboratory, 
not knowing where one is eventually going, starting out, to be sure, with some immediate 
objective in mind, but also having a vague sense of something beyond the immediate objective 
towards which one is striving. The thrill of this kind of research, albeit at a sublimated
level, is analogous, I am sure, to the thrill that explorers like the Vikings
of old experienced in breaking through the confines of the known world."

It occurred to me that, sometimes, for a flash of a moment, I believe I know almost how he felt;-)

To obstetric/anesthesiologist/pediatric/nursing/nutritionist/lactation consultant/pharmacology fields,
as well as those who have academic research capabilities, all over the world: how I wish that I could 
somehow likewise "infect" you with that same thrill to collaborate and test observations for this kind 
of outcome: 

Please include blood and urine chemistry research on whether or not intravenous hydration and the
antidiuretic effect of pitocin is capable of causing substantial interference with both breast comfort and 
chemistry during the initiation of lactation when IV Pitocin is given for long hours for induction, 
augmentation and/or third stage management.

If anyone knows of any such research already published, I would love to read it.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC     Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2