Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 02:16:24 +0800
On 25/08/2007, at 1:58, Royce Anderson wrote:

> I just talked to the dad he said mom's milk was just now coming in
> & her
> nipples are sore.  He also shared that she had probs with 1st babe.
> They
> called the lactation dept @ the hospital and one of the LC's told
> her to
> "POWER-PUMP!"  So per suggestion she is pumping with a PNS for 10
> minutes
> EVERY HOUR!  Has anyone heard of such a thing?  I encouraged her to
> drop
> back to every 2-3 hrs, and then pump for four-five minutes AFTER
> she sees
> the last of the milk in the flanges.

The "power pumping" routine I'm familiar with is rather different,
and is for increasing supply in women whose babies are unable to
latch or transfer milk effectively, and who are not pumping enough
for the baby's/babies' needs.

The aim is to simulate cluster feeding milk removal, by pumping
approximately 5-10 minutes on (typically just through one let-down),
10 minutes off (or whatever fits around household and babycare
duties) for an hour to an hour and a half period once each day. This
is of course along with the usual 3-hourly pumping routine (or 2-3
hourly with twins). Power pumping by this method also has the plus of
having short, flexible sessions when a mother is tending to other
things - she might pump five minutes here and there with a hand pump
while stirring dinner, or comforting/feeding a baby, or whatever else
needs to be done; or she might keep the kit assembled and attached to
a double pump, putting it on and off whenever it is convenient to do so.

Lara Hopkins