From:
Kathleen Whitfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:30:14 -0700
Melissa Vance pointed out that the Washington Post story showed up in
the Philadelphia Inquirer, which means it went out on the Washington
Post wire. MANY papers get that wire, so the story might show up in your
hometown papers as well. Although from a purely journalistic standpoint,
it's an unbalanced, virtually one-source story. I wouldn't have run it
when I was employed outside the home, even before I knew anything about
lactation. Editors are more likely to run your letter if it comes from
their area, unless it's a paper that 1) runs every single letter it gets
or 2) fancies itself a "national" paper. The Post and Inquirer both
probably fit in No. 2.

Oh, and I've been lurking for the last couple of years with a lay and
mother's interest in lactation issues. This is the first time I've had
anything very helpful to add!

Kathleen Whitfield
Riverside, CA
retired newspaper wire editor