From:
Bonny Nothern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:30:01 -0400
I called the Sears Portrait Studio hotline yesterday afternoon to comment
on Catharine Decker's experience of being hassled about her breastfeeding.
The person on the phone said that they had already gotten many calls (yay!)
and that their legal department was looking into it. She said that the "no
breastfeeding" was indeed a corporate policy to protect the customers who
would be offended by seeing breastfeeding. She also said that Sears might
provide nursing areas for mothers who request them.

I also went to their website and wrote in a comment there suggesting that
if Walmart can have greeters in every store and build a reputation on that,
Sears could have a nursing station in every store and thereby show "the
softer side of Sears."

We hope to include an article about this in our ILCA affiliate newsletter
here in MA. Let's rally the troops!

Yours,
Bonny Nothern, BS, IBCLC