Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:55:11 EDT
Judy,

This is an excellent review of IgE mediated food allergy and treatment .
Thank you.

  When I read the Medscape article you cited, it triggered  a  memory of
reading something else with regards to allergy and  breastfeeding.  When I looked,
I found it was another  Medscape  article I read recently.
 It was posted in September of 2007.
_http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/562893_ (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/562893)    That one said that it
was uncertain if breastfeeding reduced allergy  risk.  It talked about newer
findings.

Interestingly,  I got this as a notice today from Pubmed which reviews  risk
factors and talks of a new hypothesis:

_J Allergy Clin Immunol._
(javascript:AL_get(this,%20'jour',%20'J%20Allergy%20Clin%20Immunol.');)  2008 Jun;121(6):1331-6.
Epidemiologic risks for food  allergy.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term="Lack%20G"[Author]&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P
ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus)
Lack G
.
Kings College London, St Thomas'  Hospital, Children's Allergies Department,
London, United Kingdom.  [log in to unmask]

This article reviews possible risk factors and  theories for the development
of food allergy. It is noted that previous  strategies to prevent food allergy
through allergen avoidance during pregnancy,  breast-feeding, and infancy
have more recently been called into question.  Alternative hypotheses are
examined with respect to food allergy, namely the  hygiene hypothesis, the dietary
fat hypothesis, the antioxidant hypothesis, and  the vitamin D hypotheses. An
alternative hypothesis is proposed, suggesting that  sensitization to allergen
occurs through environmental exposure to allergen  through the skin and that
consumption of food allergen induces oral tolerance.  This hypothesis provides a
possible explanation for the close link between  eczema and the development
of food allergies. It also suggests novel  interventional strategies to prevent
the development of food  allergies.

PMID: 18539191 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Mardrey Swenson IBCLC