From:
Lindy Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 09:31:43 -0400
Briefly: I am working with a mom whose baby has a very tight latch, which the mom describes as "teething" or chewing at her breast, which is very painful. Baby is about three weeks old, and had a tongue tie clipped as well as CBT about a week ago. Mom reports that neither of these made any difference. Baby has been given bottles since birth but also nurses at the breast as much as mom can tolerate it due to pain [baby is still very willing to take the breast]. We have worked on latch and various positions, as well as ways to supplement, when to supplement, etc. Using the "laid back" position, baby latches on nicely but soon clamps down very tightly on mom's breast. Mom does not like to take the baby off during feedings to re-latch, because she says doing this is so painful. I would love any words of wisdom. Thank you.

Lindy Fisher, IBCLC, MSW
New Jersey