From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:38:39 -0600
Regarding Seemi's post questioning the addition of powdered milk to
human milk, it is my experience that mothers of post-NICU premies are
sometimes instructed to add powdered formula to breastmilk in small
amounts to raise the caloric intake of the baby.  While in NICU they are
give human milk fortifier, but I have never seen a baby sent home with
HMF.  They are told how to adjust calories with powdered formula
additive.  I can help them increase the calories in their pumped milk if
they are willing.  But most have developed a very trusting relationship
with the NICU staff and are content to follow their instructions.  I
have not seen any overt problems with such an additive other than a
change in stooling pattern for some babies.  I know these babies are not
getting many long term benefits associated with getting strictly breast
milk, but most mothers will continue adding powdered formula as I stated
before.

A few times mothers who strictly pump and bottle feeding their babies
have told me that they add powder to the EBM so baby gains more weight
when  they are slow to gain.  I don't endorse this idea.

Diane Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin   IL   USA