Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:19:38 EST
Pamela says:

Whereas
African mothers never did this, though babies were upright  after
feeding as a result of being strapped back on the back.  It has  to be
a cultural myth I think that feeding causes gas or wind.  The
European mother would feed the baby, eventually the baby would go
blissfully to sleep on the breast, whereupon the mother would
abruptly  sit him up or throw him over her shoulder, and start rubbing
or slapping his  back to get up a burp.

**

We are mammals.  When was the  last time you saw a mother cat whap her
kittens on the back after a feed?   Where on earth did this come from?  I suspect
from the bottle feeding  culture.

Not that I've ever seen any animal  being "burped" even if they have been fed
by bottle for whatever  reason.

Whenever I tell a mom she doesn't  have to burp her baby -- for the above
reason, she is SHOCKED.  SHOCKED, I  say!!  She feels compelled to burp for 10 to
15 minutes or whatever it  takes.  And then whines because feedings take "so
long."

Jan Barger, RN, MA,  IBCLC
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com

48)