Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:15:46 -0700
Hi Sarah,

Has she had a diagnosis of what is causing the joint pain - arthritis, or
something else?

According to Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple:  Rheumatoid arthritis - many
mothers with rheumatoid arthritis experience a remission from their symptoms
beginning in the second trimester of pregnancy and ending with their return
about 3 to 5 months postpartum.  For many mothers, the hormonal changes of
breastfeeding actually help prolong their remission.  A number of meds are
considered compatible with breastfeeding - ibuprofen, aspirin,
acetaminophen, meperidine, and some of the antirheumatic drugs, including
steroids.

This mom will likely need some support in working with her doctor to find a
medication that will help while preserving breastfeeding.

Ingrid Tilstra
La Leche League Canada Leader
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant