From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 14:16:34 -0500
Hi,
  How could I not comment on breastfeeding and work. My experience and
research indicate that mothers who work in places with no
lactation support are often very good advocates for breastfeeding and
each other and are also very creative about finding ways, places, times etc
to nurse at work. It is an uphill battle but they find strenth in
knowing that they are doing the right thing and educating others in teh
process. These are people with all different kinds of personalitites and
jobs. Many of them never thought of themselves as crusaders and still don't,
they just do it.
  I think that we have two important roles in all this; one is to
put nursing working mothers in touch with one another so they
can support each other. The other is to be advocates for mothers in
the workplace, both in general through supporting legislation and other
initiatives and specifically in helping individual mothers in their
situations.
  OK sermon over,
   Naomi Bar-Yam PhD