Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 13:15:33 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/99 9:15:28 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I am wondering, if all of us are dealing with this issue...sharing of the
 PNS...why aren't we pressuring Medela to start making it a sharing friendly
 pump? Surely, it would not be that difficult to devise a filter that would
 make it such. >>

Susan,

The issue that comes up with the PNS (that I have seen) is that EBM is stored
in the same case as the pump motor. The bottles of EBM could leak into the
case and into the motor area.

 Now we know that nothing moves thru the tubing but air so why am I
concerned?? Because milk that has leaked into the motor casing can grow into
a black mold. ( I'm sure most of us have seen that 'lovely' black mold grow
in tubing in which milk has overflowed) I know that molds grow by spores (am
I correct here?) and I don't know what if any damage this black mold can do
to babies.

I don't know if anyone has developed a filter that would work to prevent the
travel of mold spores or yeast. If they have boy would I love to hear about
it.

Just my $.02

Cheryl L Tompkins CLC
Phoenix, AZ USA