Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:13:46 -0700
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Marsha Glass wrote:

> Covering them with a blanket makes them virtually invisible.  How
> ingenious!  ...It scares me to think what effect this might have on kids
> (can you say "disconnected"?!)

I agree with all you said about viewing babies as packages, Marsha, but
this comment especially caught my eye.  I've wanted to say something about
it through this whole thread.  It's the "disconnectedness" of it all that
bothers me most, but...

I cannot stand to see a breastfeeding mother with a blanket over her
shoulder and the baby while she nurses.  It's like she is missing a big
part of the experience, and her baby is, too.  Babies are supposed to be
LOOKING AT MOM while they're breastfeeding, and vice versa.  There is a
communication that is supposed to be going on while the baby is at the
breast... it isn't just about nutrition!  Argh.

This is one of the reasons why I'm a proponent of breastfeeding in public
*without* covering up.  People need to see babies at the breast so they
know it's NORMAL!

OK... climbing off my soapbox now... I have a nice long rant about this
topic on my website already.  LOL.  http://www.kjsl.com/~cee/public.htm

Cee

                             .
                        .    |    .