From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:34:37 EST
Dear Friends:
    Yesterday, I was called in for a consult for a  mother who had received
so much intravenous fluid that she went into congestive  heart failure and had
to be put into ICU. Her lungs filled up with fluid. She  has memories of
vomiting on the table during her cesarean section. She is a  first time mother; her
induction failed. (The literature has discovered that  first-time pregnant
women being induced have a 1 in 2-3 risk of cesarean  section.)
    Naturally, with such a disruption, breastfeeding is  not established.
    Her baby is a week old. The mother was  amazed to notice how much calmer
the baby was after a long spell of  skin-to-skin; she did latch some but
became furious at the lack of flow and  wouldn't sustain.
    The mother likes the new pumping schedule; I have  suggested that it is
better to pump for 5 minutes every hour than 15 minutes  every 3 hours; which
is more like a newborn would feed. As the  literature describes that newborn
babies nurse about 150 minutes in 24  hours, I have suggested she move the pump
to where she will spend most of her  time and pump a little every time she
thinks of her baby. This is more of a  natural schedule. This mother's supply is
presently low, although her breasts  went from a A to a C cup during this
first week. I am guessing, based on  evidence, that the stress of the induction
and congestive heart failure, has  delayed lactogenesis II.
    (A note for Jean Cotterman and others: there was no  areolar edema that I
could feel; although her feet were still +1. Maybe the  intravenous diuretics
prevented this from ocurring? This woman must have  received enormous
quantities of fluid; she is 6 feet tall and weighed over 200  pounds at the end of
her pregnancy.)
    During the visit, the father came home from work,  and wanted to tend to
his baby. He changed the diaper and played with the baby  and held the baby.
He was encouraged to stand in front of a mirror while he held  his baby, so he
could see the baby's content face. He loved that!
    The baby went to sleep after a while; the  father went to put the baby
down. I suggested that he could still hold his  baby during its sleep, that the
baby was sleeping inside the mother while she  was moving, and that movement
wouldn't disturb the baby at all. This  father loved that, and continued to
cuddle his baby.
    Seeing that made me realize that it is a common  response to put babies
down when they are sleeping; this is not necessary.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative