From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:52:10 -0400
I'm grateful to Harry Chaikin for the flattering introduction and I apologize
for my own lack of NETiquette.  Although I agree with Kathleen Auerbach's
concerns about doctors learning only from other doctors, and I am a member
of ILCA and medical associate of LLLI with most of my knowledge from LC's and
Leaders, MD's still are largely a minority in these associations.  I've been
told that a group of MD's is forming among ILCA membership, and these
physicians will probably empower each other.
It's not simply a matter of whether physicians only learn from each other
(which I totally agree is not necessary), but that sharing with others within
one's own profession is empowering.  Another issue is the kind of struggle
I have had to get accreditation for continuing medical education for most
breastfeeding symposia (with one obvious exception of the LLLI/AAP
Physicians' Seminar).  One such attempt with the American Academy of Family
Physicians resulted in only elective credit because the course was not
directly targeted to an audience of physicians.  That may be one role of the
Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: to attract more physicians to
breastfeeding conferences which have accreditation with medical associations.
Still, I hope we all can learn from each other, to the benefit of our
patients.  Sincerely, Alicia Dermer, M.D.