From:
Mary Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:22:45 -0000
Helen's comments re measuring blood glucose made me revisit notes from a
recent conference in Edinburgh.  I think we heard the same speaker, Helen.
I found her very interesting - and the descriptions of her research
particularly so.  I understand her to think that it is likely that the low
glucose and high ketone levels  seen in term newborns are  normal.

Her current research is looking at babies born at 34-36 weeks and growth
retarded (IUGR) babies.  They are divided into 3 groups - exclusively
breastfed by mother's choice, breastfed with formula supplements by choice
or necessity, and exclusively formula fed by mother's choice.  I believe she
has found that the exclusively breastfed babies (both 34-36 weekers and
IUGR) have similar ketone responses to healthy newborns.  Unfortunately it's
not clear from my notes how the mixed group fared; the formula fed babies do
not show this response.  The formula fed babies weight gain was high cf.
other groups.  It raises questions about whether breastfeeding kicks off the
response, formula suppresses it, or a weight loss is *needed* to kick off
the response.

No doubt future research will explore this further.

However, this isn't why I dug the notes out.  I didn't recall her saying how
to measure blood glucose, and Helen's comment read to me as if all
measurements were unreliable.  I don't think that was said, (and probably
I've misunderstood Helen).  What the neonatologist did say was - 'Measure
glucose level *before* starting treatment'  - and 'Don't use bm sticks'.
Hey I hope that's not a brand name?  She may have mentioned specific
machines as giving more accurate readings than others, I've not noted it
down.

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland [log in to unmask]
The Breastfeeding Network - Independent Support and Information about
Breastfeeding http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/bfn