From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 10:44:57 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends,
When I have a mother call me who has a baby who is fighting at the
breast I sometime suggest she just stop "trying" to breastfeed. This
suggestion is best for the moms and baby who try to latch for 10-30
minutes eight times a day or more, never do latch, and then give a bottle.
Latching is not working anyway, mom and baby are crying, so why not stop
for a few days? This works shockingly well. I tell the mom, "the baby
isn't latching anyway so why not enjoy him instead?" Often mothers cry
with relief that she can stop trying something that is not working
anyway and just love her baby. Sometimes she has been working so hard on
trying to breastfeed that the interactions with her baby suck! What is
the definition of insanity? To expect different results doing the same
thing.
I suggest lots and lots of skin to skin during this break, I agree
completely with Nikki about laid back BF, if the baby heads to the
breast, great. If not, when I see them, often the baby has seemed to
forget they were so stressed at the breast. We can start again in a very
gentle way. I also suggest that the parents use paced bottle feeding as
well so the baby gets used to feeding taking effort and time.
Good luck!

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC
The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor